I had one of my first total failures with cold process soap making over the weekend, and the batch initially looked great! I had some friends over to show them the very basics of cold process soaping, and we had a wonderful time. After they left, I still had everything I needed already out, so I decided to make a batch for myself. I used Bramble Berry’s basic quick mix oils, and a sample of their “Relaxing” fragrance. To color it, I did a three color swirl, with black, blue and purple. I thought it would look and smell wonderful. In the mold it looked great! The purple faded almost immediately, but I think I know what went wrong there, and I was okay with it being pretty much blue and black colors with the white background. I took the slab out of its mold on Monday afternoon, and cut it into chunks. Still looked pretty good! I checked on it this morning and OH NO! My creamy white background was turning brown! The blue was darkened, and the black had faded to more of a dark gray. WEIRD! I turned the soap over, and discovered why the black had faded; it was currently sitting in big dots all over the bottom of the soap! I had no idea what happened. I was soooo sad!
Did some research, and the “Relaxing” fragrance oil is known to discolor soaps, so you have to take that into consideration when choosing colors and such. My own fault for not researching correctly. Still very sad. On a positive note, the coffee soap that my friends and I made appears to have turned out wonderfully, and waiting the four weeks until it cures is going to be hard! My workroom smells like a mocha!